Sunday, September 5, 2010

Time will tell

Three years ago, Keith (my husband) and I decided to join the B&S triathlon training group and compete in our first triathlon. We've been hooked ever since! If you were to tell me I'd be signing up for an Ironman in three years, I'd have told you that you're crazy. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run...NO WAY! The more time we've spent in the triathlon world, the less crazy and unattainable this has seemed.

Well on July 25th Keith and I decided to make the trip to Lake Placid to volunteer at the 2010 Ironman. The next day, we started waiting in line at 5am to solidify a place in the 2011 Ironman (yes we waited in line for 4 hours and yes we are actually paying to do this race...a lot of $). Pretty much everyone I've told that I signed up for IMLP has had a similar reaction, “You're crazy.” or “Did you ever think you'd be this nuts?” I might point out that someone actually going nuts probably wouldn't think they were going nuts at that time, but I digress.

We even signed up before we attempted our first Half Ironman. Okay this might make us a bit crazy but I have no regrets about signing up (talk to me in March and I might after running in the snow). I decided to start a blog to track my training and show that it does not take an incredible amount of ability but rather dedication, motivation, and heart to train for an Ironman. At the very least I hope to provide a distraction from work or some entertainment. A few disclaimers: I was a Biology not English major in college so bear with my writing; my train of thought can sometimes be scattered but I promise it makes sense in my head; I'm a fan of quotes/song lyrics and will use some throughout my posts; I'm no elite athlete, just a regular age grouper trying to finish my first Ironman.

Am I excited? Understatement
Am I nervous? Definitely
Am I motivated? You betcha
Am I crazy? Maybe a little
Do I want this? Oh yeah
Will I be an Ironman? Only time will tell 

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." 
~T. S. Eliot

After our volunteer shift
Waiting in line @ 5am to sign up for IMLP 2011

2 comments: